Back in May, our friends from Washington DC and ESL Music artists “Thunderball” have released an album of remixes aptly called “Declassified” in the spirit of their “Spy movie soundtrack” genre.
Of course Thievery Corporation has provided a couple of great remixes to this effort with a cooled out Caribbean flavored version of “Pop the Trunk” which was a nice departure from the back beat heavy original. You’ll also get tracks remixed by Fort Knox Five, Chris Joss, Ursula 1000, and Bombay Dub Orchestra among others.
I really enjoyed the Boca 45 remix” of “Stereo Tonic”, which is one of my favorite Thunderball tracks as well. It’s funky and a bit more hard hitting than the original and reminded me a bit of Public Enemy’s “Fight the Power.” However, the rest of the album features more reggae influences added to the mixes and I think it makes for a good combination to the cinematic sounds and back beats that are used in Thunderball’s music. It really makes for a nice chill listening session.
Hopefully the release of “Declassified” signals Thunderball are back in the studio also working on new music as it has been seven years since their last release.
You can pick up “Declassified” on Bandcamp, Beatport, iTunes, and Juno Download.
In support of their new album, “Culture of Fear” due out next month, DC trip-hop masters Thievery Corporation will be headed out on tour! They just recently added a few dates in Australia where they will be performing at the Splendour in the Grass Festival in Queensland with the likes of Coldplay, Kanye West, Jane’s Addiction, The Mars Volta, just to name a few. They’ll also have two other gigs down under before returning state side.
Unfortunately for us Yanks, Theivery Corp’s stops in the US will be limited to just a handful of dates, but I’m quite sure they will make it up to us with an amazing album!
To get ready for the tour and upcoming release, you can check out a teaser as well as a 30-minute preview mix of “Culture of Fear” on ESL Music’s website. Their seventh album has been about three years in the making and drops on June 28th.
Tour dates provided by ESL Records-
- 05.29.2011 – Lightning in a Bottle Festival Silverado, CA
- 06.04.2011 – Wakarusa Ozark, AR
- 06.24.2011 – Williamsburg Waterfront Brooklyn, NY
- 06.25.2011 – DMB Caravan @ Bader Field Atlantic City, NJ
- 07.08.2011 – Optimus Alive Festival Lisbon, POR
- 07.10.2011 – Heineken Balaton Sound Zamárdi, HUN
- 07.13.2011 – Moni Lazariston Thessaloniki, GRE
- 07.14.2011 – Lycabettus Open Air Theater Athens, GRE
- 07.17.2011 – Rock’n Coke Festival Istanbul, TUR
- 07.30.2011 – Splendour in the Grass Woodford, AUS
- 08.01.2011 – Enmore Theatre Newtown, AU
- 08.02.2011 – Palace Theatre Melbourne, AU
- 08.14.2011 – Red Rocks Amphitheater Morrison, CO
- 09.02.2011 – Jazz Aspen Snowmass Labor Day Festival Aspen, CO
The duo will also be making an appearance at the North Coast Music Festival in Chicago around Labor Day (date/time TBD) this September.
Go check them out!